Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Artist: Gauguin


Gauguin

When my wife and I went to Seattle recently, the Seattle Art Museum was hosting a Gauguin exhibition. Previously I only knew of his work from art history and the like, which focused on his Polynesian women paintings, but the exhibit covered a much more impressive span of his works, from his French paintings to woodcuttings to the Polynesians.

            What impressed me was his versatility as a painter. Some were full of vibrant colors and impressionist style, capturing the feelings of the seen while giving only the general ideas of the people and landscape, others were more subdued but very detailed portraits with more controlled brush strokes and realistic color scenes.

            Something I learned from the exhibit was the Gauguin was, and still is, considered the most skilled woodcut artist of his time and brought the genre into prominence during his life. On one wall was a painting of a street scene under the Eiffel Tower. The work was a large mural, maybe 10 ft by 15 ft (I think on canvas, but I don’t remember just now). Krista and I commented on how we had a similar photograph, though not as large. Then we read the name plaque and realized it was a woodcut.

No comments:

Post a Comment