Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Entry Wk 14.2


I want to own a commercial Art studio one day. I had a lead on a property this past semester, but before I could get the capitol raised the property was bought in a cash deal. I still desire to have a studio, Ambrose Studios and Gallery, but I haven’t pursued it since then. Once classes are done I’ll follow up with some leads for support that I have been given.

            This property is the second one that I thought would have suited my needs well but failed to materialize. The first was a second floor office that I could have rented for $250 a month, and because I would have been the only tenant, I could have utilized the rest of the floor for storage or discrete events. Unfortunately, that time the building’s owners decided to convert it to apartments, with some storefronts on the main level, so that went away. I am trying to understanding and stay encouraged, but it is proving more difficult to do.

My idea is to have a place that offers room for a teaching space, a small gallery space, and individual studios, enough that the rent for each space will be affordable and that collectively they can cover expenses. Originally the idea came to me that trying to make sculptures or staging still lives to draw in my living room with four teenage and preteen children, pets, and a mother who is sometime oblivious to her surroundings. I was looking for an office space that I could divide up and sublet. Talking to some of the other artists in Mountain Home, and a couple professors, I altered my plan slightly. I’ve even visited other studios around Boise and in Seattle, learning how they are run, incorporating new ideas into my own business plan.

           


No comments:

Post a Comment